Fully Immersive Virtual Reality
Voxel Bay was recognized for being 1 of the top 5 finalists in the area of Health, Med and Biotech, at the internationally recognized SXSW Festival, a very prestigious honor. SXSW is calling these finalist projects the connected world’s best and most forward-thinking.
My User Experience Technology team at Nationwide Children’s Hospital created a fully-immersive virtual and augmented reality ecosystem to comfort pediatric patients undergoing comprehensive hemophilia treatment. Voxel Bay’s primary aim is to engage patients with an absolutely amazing and anxiety free experience within the hospital clinic. Voxel Bay facilitates distraction through engagement in a completely novel, challenging and fun environment, and brings genuine joy and laughter to the hospital. Voxel Bay is a vital first step toward to redefining the patient experience during procedures for kids of all ages.
Factor replacement treatment for hemophilia is a procedure that can cause anxiety in patients. Existing distraction methods would require the patient to move while the treatment method requires that the patient remain still, which can exacerbate the anxiety.
Create an immersive virtual environment that overloads a patient’s perception of sensory input. Considerations of the factor replacement treatment dictated that movement must be limited; therefore, the design substituted hand controls with integrated head movement and breathing exercises that serve as the control mechanics within the game.
SXSW Interactive Innovation Award
Voxel Bay was selected as 1 of the top 5 finalists in the area of Health, Med and Biotech, at the internationally recognized SXSW Festival. I created this product launch video for our entry. I curated all of the footage, composed and engineered the audio, and edited the video in Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects.
- This Week News: Science nonfiction: Cutting-edge tech companies find footholds in central Ohio
- TechOhio: VR Headset Helps Put Children at Ease
- CSL Behring: Nobody Likes Needles
- Computer Weekly: http://www.computerweekly.com/news/450420185/Virtual-reality-as-a-healthcare-tool
- The Columbus Dispatch: http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170521/virtual-reality-game-helps-young-hemophilia-patients-endure-prickly-treatments
- The Courier: http://thecourier.com/life-news/2017/06/08/virtual-reality-helps-patients-sail-through-procedures/
- Haptic.al: https://haptic.al/needle-phobia-virtual-reality-8d501c59ea42#.8y1oiswt1
- Nationwide Children’s Newsroom: Pediatric Clinic Tests Virtual Reality for Hemophilia Patients during Procedures – 10/6/16
- Science Daily: Virtual reality games make infusions easier on young patients – 10/5/16
- 700 Children’s Blog: Virtual Reality: Using Technology in Medical Treatment – 9/28/16
- National Hemophilia Foundation: Virtual Reality Game Eases Infusion Process in Children 11/7/16
- All Sides with Ann Fisher Interview: “Wellness Wednesday: Virtual Reality, Exercise Inclusion and Mental Health Clubhouses” – 10/26/16
- CBS: Virtual Reality Takes The Pain And Anxiety Out Of Needle Pricks For Parents And Kids – 10/25/16
- VRScout: This Hospital is Using VR to Make Shots Easier For Kids – 10/19/16
- Hemophilia News Today: Virtual Reality Game Helping Young Hemophilia Patients Ignore Painful Treatments – 10/12/16
- Medgadget: Immersive Virtual Reality Gaming Helps Kids With Hemophilia Get Through Infusions – 10/6/16
- OSU College of Arts and Sciences Article: “Voxel Bay: ACCAD Students Partner with Nationwide Children’s Hospital to Create Virtual Reality Game to Comfort Young Patients” – 10/6/16
- News Medical: New virtual reality games create better patient-experience for kids during infusions
- OrthoFeed: New virtual reality games create better patient-experience for kids during infusions
- VR Scout: New Virtual Reality Games Make Infusions Easier On Young Patients
- Realidad Virtual aplicada a la medicina: http://www.voanoticias.com/a/realidad-virtual-medicina/3774045.html